The Ultimate Summer STEAM Challenge
Saturday, August 19, 2017
Park Ave & Whitney St in downtown Grayslake
Registration Coming Soon!
The most incredible fun you’ll have all summer starts here! Check out this video to see exactly how awesome the 2015 Summer Days Go-Kart Races were. You won’t want to miss the 2017 event!
Are you ready, kids? Put your heads together, make your plans, build your ride, and start your engines at Grayslake Summer Days! Thanks to a committee of four entrepreneurial District 46 students, we invite kids from all over the area to integrate science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics with this amazingly fun summer STEAM project. You do NOT have to be a CCSD 46 student to join in the fun!
Round up a group of friends this summer to design and build your own environmentally friendly go-kart. Go-karts can be powered by any source other than combustion or gas engines. Race on over to join us on Saturday, August 19 at 1:00 to cruise down Park Ave and show off your smooth ride during Grayslake Summer Days. Spectators will be invited to vote with donations for their favorite kart! Participants are also invited to ride/march with the Foundation in the Summer Days Parade, which kicks off at 6:30pm.
Some suggestions to help you make the most of this experience:
- Consider working with a group of 2-5 kids to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way. If you know more kids who want to participate, suggest that they form a second team and enter a second go-kart.
- Recycle, reuse, renew! Use scrap materials to minimize your costs and to be good stewards of our environment. Consider visiting a scrap yard. Use parts from old bikes, other vehicles, and electronics.
Here are the rules:
- Drivers ages 6 and up can drive karts powered by any source other than combustion or gas. Is this your first time? Don’t overthink it. Push karts and pedal karts are welcome! A maximum of two participants may push the kart at any given time.
- Speed limit of 20mph.
- All drivers must wear a helmet and seat restraint.
- Each kart must have a braking system.
- No commercial products. You must plan and design your own go-kart. Parents…you can teach your kids and work with them, but let the kids make the decisions and let them do the building.
- Parents of all drivers must sign a liability waiver prior to their children’s participation.
Cost: $25 per go-kart entered